Long-term residence


Country Report: Long-term residence Last updated: 30/06/23


Swiss Refugee Council Visit Website

The Long-Term Residence Directive is not applicable in Switzerland.

A recognised refugee with asylum status receives a residence permit (B permit). After 10 years, or if they are especially well integrated, after 5 years, the canton can issue a permanent residence permit (C permit).[1] However, there is no absolute right to receive this permit; it is at the discretion of the canton. These are the same rules that also apply for other foreigners.

A temporarily admitted person receives an F permit. After 5 years, the person can apply to the canton for a residence permit (B permit), if they are well integrated.[2] However, the practice among the cantons varies and is in general strict. In 2022, 5,660 persons obtained a B permit in this way.[3] Once the person has a B permit, they can again apply for a permanent residence permit (C permit) after 5-10 years similar to the process described above.

Under the naturalisation law, it is necessary to have a C permit in order to apply for naturalisation. This is very difficult for protection beneficiaries, especially temporarily admitted persons, as they will first have to go through all the different steps of permits, which takes a very long time. This is also the case for those born in Switzerland.




[1] Article 34 FNIA.

[2] Article 84(5) FNIA. The specific criteria are listed at Article 31 OASA.

[3] SEM, asylum statistics (7-60), available at: https://bit.ly/418U0Yk.

Table of contents

  • Statistics
  • Overview of the legal framework
  • Overview of the main changes since the previous report update
  • Asylum Procedure
  • Reception Conditions
  • Detention of Asylum Seekers
  • Content of International Protection