Requirements for the acquisition and termination of Croatian citizenship are regulated by the Law on Croatian Citizenship.
An application for Croatian citizenship on grounds of naturalisation should be submitted at the competent police administration or police station, where the place of temporary or permanent residence is located. Physically handicapped persons can submit the application via their legal representative or attorney. An application can also be submitted at diplomatic missions or consular offices of the Republic of Croatia abroad.
A foreign citizen who submit application for acquiring Croatian citizenship shall acquire Croatian citizenship by naturalisation if he or she:
- Has reached the age of eighteen years;
- Has had his or her foreign citizenship revoked or he or she submits proof that he or she will get a revocation if admitted to Croatian citizenship;
- Before submitting application, he or she has lived at registered place of residence for a period of 8 years constantly on the territory of the Republic of Croatia and has been granted permanent residence permit;
- Is proficient in the Croatian language and Latin script and is familiar with the Croatian culture and social system,
- Respects the legal order of the Republic of Croatia, has covered all due taxes and other financial obligations towards public bodies and there are no security related restrictions to accessing Croatian citizenship. “.
According to the LITP, if asylees or beneficiaries under subsidiary protection are not able for objective reasons to obtain official documents from their country of origin necessary to acquire Croatian citizenship, official documents of the Republic of Croatia shall be taken into account in the procedure to acquire Croatian citizenship, along with other documents they possess, on the basis of which it may be assessed whether they meet the conditions for the acquisition of Croatian citizenship. A decision to refuse an application for Croatian citizenship may not be based exclusively on the fact that the necessary official documents of the country of origin have not been submitted.
 Article 24 (3)(4) Law on Croatian Citizenship.
 Article 8(1)(5) Law on Croatian Citizenship.
 This condition is deemed met if the application was submitted by a stateless person or person would lose his or her existing nationality by naturalisation in Croatia. If a foreign country does not permit dismissal from its citizenship or it places requirements or dismissal which cannot be fulfilled, a statement of the applicant who has submitted a request will be sufficient to renounce his foreign citizenship under the conditions of acquisition of Croatian citizenship.
 Article 77(1)(2) LITP.